Hengki Koentjoro is an accomplished photographer, specialising in capturing the spectral domain that lies amidst the shades of black and white. Born in Semarang, Central Java, Indonesia on March 24th 1963, he proceeded to pursue further education in Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, California—an expedition that plunged him into the professional arena of video production and fine art photography. Childhood introduction to camera on his 11th birthday is by now an earnest love affair that involves an elaborate choreography of composition, texture, shapes and lines.
Upon his return to Indonesia, Hengki settles in Jakarta as a freelance videographer and video editor for nature documentaries and corporate profiles. Delving into what he believes to be his true purpose in life's journey of expression, he indulge himself in the art of black and white photography on the side. Exploring along the borderlines of light and shadow, yin and yang. Celebrating complexity in the minimalist. Diving into the spiritual in the physical.
"Photography can never be separated from the aspects of making the common things unusual, welcoming the unexpected, indulging and embracing ourselves with the joy of photography"—Hengki Koentjoro, 2013
- 2nd place in Nature Pro category in 2008 PX3 annual photo competition.
- Honorable Mentions PX3 2008 Photo Competition.
- Nominees 2008 Black And White Spider Award in Silhouette Category.
- Merit Award in 2008 Single Image Contest Awards, Black And White Magazine Issue # 56 February 2008, page 189.
- 2nd in the Asia Without Borders Photography Competition 2009 in the Faces Of The Earth category.
- Art Limited Winner of the February 2009 contest.
- Merit award 2009, Indonesian Heritage Society Art And Photography Exhibition.
- PX3 Honorable Mention Recipients of 2009 Water Competition.
- Black & White Single Image Contest 2013, for a Spotlight Award.
- Black and White Spider Awards 2013. 2nd place – Merit of Excellent in Silhouette Category
- Black and White Spider Awards 2013. 1st place – Outstanding Achievement in Nature Category
- Worldwide Photography Gala Awards – WPGA 2013. 1st place – Seascape/Underwater Category
- PX3 Paris Photo Competition 2013 — 3rd place in Fine Art Category
- Kontinent Awards 2013 – Official Selection in Fine Art Projects
- Kontinent Awards 2014 – Official Selection in Fine Art Projects
- Hasselblad Master 2014 – 1st place winner in Landscapes/Nature category
- MIFA – Moscow International Foto Awards 2014 – Honorable Mention – Fine Art Landscape
- IPA Photography Awards 2014 – 1st place winner in Nature/Aerial category
- PX3 Paris Photo Competition 2015 – 1st Prize in Nature Category/Animal
- PX3 Paris Photo Competition 2015 – 1st Prize in Nature Category/Water
2009, 7 — 17 Maret
Art & Photography Exhibition, “ Images Of Indonesia”, by Indonesian Heritage Society, Plaza Senayan, Jakarta – Indonesia.
2009, 24 October – 15 November
Photography Contemporer, “Urbantopia”, North Art Space, Pasar Seni Ancol, Jakarta – Indonesia.
2009, 9 – 21 Nov
“Asia Without Borders” by Asian Geographic Magazine, Gallery The Arts House, Singapore.
2010, 22 June
Santa Lucia, Mostra Benefica di Fotografia, by LoredanaGuinicelli, Italy
2011, 23 Oct – 6 Nov
“Beyond Photography" 2011, by Ciputra Groups, Ciputra Artpreneur Center, Jakarta - Indonesia
2012, May 9 – 20
Vernissage International Photographic Exhibition “SmallGarden" - Galleria d'Arte Moderna – Villa Reale, Milan – Italy
2012, 15 September
Tobin Ohashi Gallery Exhibition, Tokyo – Japan
2013, 22 November
Taiwan Photo Fair 2013
2014, 28 March
ART | WINE | WATER — Tobin Ohashi Gallery — Japan
2014, 16 September
Photokina 2014 — Cologne, Germany. Exhibition & Launching of Hasselblad Master Book # 4
2014, 14 November
Fotofever Paris 2014 — Vevais Galerie Collections
2014, 27 November
Taiwan Photo Fair 2014
2015, 20 February - 27 March
“An Eternal Moment” Solo Exhibition — Hasselblad Gallery — Shibuya - Tokyo - Japan
2015, 13 July See Me - Fifth Annual Exposure Award - Musee du Louvre - Paris
2015, 29 October - AAF Fair - Amsterdam - The Netherlands
2015, 13 November - Fotofever Paris 2014 - Paris, France
2016, 30 January - Classic Photographs Los Angeles - USA
2016, 26 February - AAF Fair - Brussels - Belgium
2016, 3 March - Annenberg Space for Photography - USA
- 2008 Single Image Contest Awards Black & White Magazine Issue 56 February 2008, Pg. 189
- Asian Geographic Magazine Photo Annual 2009, No 69/issue 8/2009
- Bulb Magazine. Issue # 12.March 1 2009
- TEMPO Indonesian Magazine,Edition 2-8 November 2009, page 74.
- A feature from Fotoblur issue # 4
- A feature by Fotoblur Magazine.
- A feature from JPG Magazine # 25
- A feature by AulaFoto Magazine
- A book cover Courtesy of Giampaolo Vincenzi
- A CD cover Courtesy of Geamala Band for the album "Forking Paths”
- A feature from DP Magazine # 27/August.
- A feature from ND Magazine
- A feature By Fubiz
- A feature by Duckrabbit Digital Printing Service
- A feature by Feature Shoot
- A feature story by Katrin Figge, The Jakarta Globe Newspaper
- A book Cover of Pascal Quignard's "Butes" Courtesy of Sexto Piso Publishing
- A book cover for Vendela Vida Courtesy of Albin Michel Publishing
- A feature by Sufi Journal issue 81/Summer 2011
- A feature by Fotoblur Magazine
- A feature by Silverkris Magazine– Singapore Airlines In Flight Magazine January 2012 issue.
- A feature by Reader’s Digest Magazine – June 2012
- A feature by f11 Magazine – Issue 12 :: July 2012
- A feature by Amateur Photographer Magazine – August 4 2012
- A feature by Photo World Magazine – September 2012
- A Book Cover: “ When Loss is Gain “ By Pavan K. Varma – Courtesy of Rupa Publication 2012
- Wine label - OTIAKE Pinot Noir by Earth Keepers wine – New Zealand
- A feature in Garuda Indonesian Airways In-flight magazine COLOURS - January 2013
- CD cover for Hamilton de Holanda – Album MUNDO DE PIXINGUINHA – Brazil
- A book cover - The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman
- A feature by SCHWARZWEISS magazine - Germany – April 2013
- KOZU book Volume 1 – Wells printing – UK 2014
- A feature in Garuda Indonesian In-flight magazine COLOURS - April 2014
- Black White Magazine Issue 103 06/2014: SPOTLIGHT – Portfolio Contest Winner
- Hasselblad Master 2014 Annual Book # 4
- A feature in Garuda Indonesian In-flight magazine COLOURS – November 2014
- A feature by Amateur Photographer Magazine – March 2015
- Hengki Koentjoro Solo Monograph – WERKDRUCK Book No. 38 – Galerie VEVAIS
- MONOHYDRA - Fine art Underwater Book - Afterhours Books Publication
- The Refined Eye - The Photography of Hengki Koentjoro - Publisher: Foto Henny Hoogeveen - Leica Store Lisse - The Netherlands
Kanisius High School
1977 - 1981 — Jakarta, Indonesia
Brooks Institute of Photography
1987 - 1990 — California, USA